Are you under the department’s Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance plan? Have you neglected going to the doctor in years, or do you need to update your primary care physician to someone closer to your house?
By logging into http://www.bluekc.com and following the instructions on the attached flyer, you can search through the provider network to find a doctor or specialist for your needs.
Please remember to study the Preventative Healthcare Guidelines to see when you may be due for an appointment with a specialist.
Doctor/Provider Search Instructions
Chris Hogan is a financial expert who works with Dave Ramsey at Ramsey Solutions. He is also author of the book Retire Inspired. We highly recommend this book, and it is available at your local libraries. In these two brief videos, he discusses some key points to focus on dependent upon your current age.
If you have questions about your financial outlook, feel free to reach out to the Employee Wellness Unit for resources or contact a financial expert. Things that you should do immediately regardless of age are: learn to budget, learn to save, and have a plan for retirement.
We are fortunate to have a career with a pension, but don’t plan on that being your sole source of income. Being smart today will make tomorrow much more comfortable.
How to prepare for retirement in your 20’s and 30’s:
How to prepare for retirement in your 40’s and 50’s:
This article comes from the Winter 2017 issue of the FOP Journal. It discusses functional fitness for law enforcement, how to train, and nutrition.
Some takeaways from the article:
- The bottom line is, people can be extremely self-destructive through their actions and inactions when it comes to wellness. Regardless if it is work-related stress or other personal issues, many officers will attempt to blame the poor eating habits, and lack of exercise and training on any of the usual excuses.
- Don’t sit for days or weeks planning out an intricate workout program. All a person has to do is start moving! Don’t wait: Do it now!
- Being properly conditioned for dynamic confrontations will significantly reduce the chances of becoming injured and greatly increase the chances of officer survival during a violent confrontation!
- Proper nutrition combined with adequate exercise are the two key components to building a foundation for a healthy lifestyle.
- Eating the right foods will create positive physiological changes such as increased energy, lower risk of heart disease, decreased risk of diabetes and improved brain function, to name only a few.
- Sometimes officers reach a certain level of experience in their careers and feel that they do not need to train as hard because they can handle anything that they are confronted with, like they have on previous occasions. This is the “I am special” mindset. This type of mentality can prove fatal to the officer, fellow officers and other innocent parties. So be prepared for every situation by training hard, staying fit and eating well!
Check out the attached KC Star article and video for some coverage on KCPD’s Yoga for First Responders program. As a reminder, Yoga is held in the Headquarters Community Room on Wednesdays from 3:30-4:30. For further information, contact Sgt. Michelle Hon and see our other blog posting HERE.
Take advantage of this free opportunity to improve your health and wellness.
For a deeper understanding of the program and philosophy behind it, check out the following video:
New Directions EAP Free Webinar Schedule 2018
The above link includes the schedule and directions for viewing webinars through the New Directions website. If you need the company code, contact the Employee Wellness Unit, or refer to the Employee Wellness Resource Guide on the internal website.
The webinars can also be viewed through the New Directions EAP mobile app. You also need to enter the KCPD company code, click on “view resources”, and then click on webinars. The most current webinar appears first. There is also a link to over 60 free archived webinars covering nutrition, stress, finances, parenting, and much more.
The following is a list of webinar topics:
- Banishing Bullying
- Bringing More Balance Into Your Life
- Budgeting Basics – The Key To Becoming Financially Healthy (Certificate)
- Budgeting Basics – The Key to Becoming Financially Healthy
- Caregiver Readiness: Are you up for the Challenge?
- Caring for Elders At Home
- Communicating with Your Partner
- Communication Skills – Beyond Words!
- Dealing with Change From the Inside Out
- Dealing with Grief and Loss
- Developing Exemplary Emotional Intelligence
- Eat Your Way to Better Health
- Eat Your Way to Better Health
- Effective Conflict Management in the Workplace
- Elder Law Basics
- Emotional Composure – Remaining Unruffled & Dynamic Under Stress
- Estate Planning for Digital Assets
- Family Systems & Family Communication
- Finding Your Balance
- Finding Your Balance : 8 Secrets
- Goal Setting For Your Best Year Yet!
- Goal Setting for Life
- Involvement and Engagement
- It’s My Budget And I’m Sticking To It
- Looking Ahead: Planning and Preparedness
- Love Languages
- Making Self-Care A Priority
- Managing Money With Your Partner
- Maximizing Your Social Security Benefits
- Money Basics
- Money Basics: Spending, Borrowing and Saving It
- New Year… New You – 10 Financial Resolutions You Can Actually Keep
- Parenting Using Personality Profiles
- Parenting Using Personality Styles
- Paying for College
- Personal Responsibility: Setting the Example for Your Child
- Planning for Long-term Care
- Planning for Long-term Care – Seven Steps to Protect Your Independence
- Practicing Gratitude to Produce Happiness
- Quality of Life
- Ready, Set, Relax
- Realize Your Resilience
- Redefining the Modern Family
- Rejuvenating Your Retirement Plan
- Relaxation Techniques
- Retirement Redefined
- Special Needs and Disability Planning
- Surviving and Enjoying the Six Stages of Parenting
- The Benefits of Mindfulness
- The Power of Positive Self-Talk
- The Science of Happiness
- The Three Nevers of Parenting
- The Top Ten Estate Planning Mistakes
- The Truth About Estate Planning
- Upcoming Webinars
- What Are My Kids Doing Online?
- What Colleges Really Look For
- Why Life Transition Planning is Important for Everyone
- Work/Life Goal Setting
- Workplace Bullying
February EAP Newsletter
Check out the above link for the latest newsletter from our EAP provider New Directions. Topics discussed focus on nutrition, retirement planning, and tips for stress reduction.